Thursday, October 04, 2007

October 4th's Meanwhile in Las Vegas... plus three other things

This week's LVW comics column features reveiws of



and



So go read it. If you want. No pressure. I don't care one way or the other, really. Seriously, if you don't want to go read it, that's fine. Don't.




Meanwhile, in other, less self-obsessed news...





1.) So I read Shortcomings Monday night, and my initial reaction was this: “Fuck you, Adrian Tomine!”

Yeah, yeah, yeah the art is really incredible and it tells a compelling story and blah blah blah, but Jesus God did it bring me down.

I don't know if I was just feeling particularly bummed out or lonely that night or what, but man was I depressed by the time I closed the covers.

And I blamed Tomine, for subjecting me to his unsympathetic protagonist and all the unsympathetic people in his life, none of whom seem like they should be in relationships, and yet all of whom are in them, gradually breaking one another's hearts and ruining one another's lives.

And the worst part of it all? The characters are all so sharply realized and realistic they're bound to remind you of yourself and people you know and the real world relationships you've experienced, either firsthand or among your friends and aquaintances.

Of course, the fact that Shortcomings was strong enough to effect my mood and mental state at all is a pretty strong reccomendation for how effective it is alone.

But Monday night, I was all "Fuck you, Adrian Tomine! Thanks for ruining my night, jerk!"

Luckily I had a trade collection of Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy’s 2002 series Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu on hand, and its mindless escapism offerred a welcome distraction from the dark mood Shortcomings left me in.

It didn’t occur to me at the time, as Tomine’s book was just the next one I needed to read to review and the Marvel trade was just the next one on my escapist-comics-to-read-before-bed pile, but now, a few days later, it strikes me what an odd double-feature that is.

I’m sure reading Shortcomings, which deals with Asian-American race issues through the prism of relationships between Asians and Caucasians, and Master of Kung-Fu, a story about a stereotypical martial artist hero fighting fucking Fu Manchu, back to back says something about me as a reader and the American comic book industry in general.

I’m just not sure what.

Anyway, a real review of Shortcomings—which in all seriousness is a great read—is in the works for next week.





2.) Speaking of graphic novels, Columbus writer Dara Naraghi’s Lifelike is in the latest issue of Previews. (Page 300, Diamond order code OCT07 3596).

If you live here and read comics, chances are you already know Dara, who’s been heavily involved in local mini-comic collective Panel and is a regular fixture at SPACE. He’s also probably the most often drawn man in Columbus, Ohio.

I’m not exactly sure why, but his fellow Panel-ists are always drawing Dara here and there. I think I’ve seen more drawings of him then I have of ex-Governor Bob Taft, and considering the latter appeared regularly in political cartoons for almost a decade, that’s saying something.

Anyway, the book is called Lifelike and IDW is publishing it. It’s a series of slice-of-life vignettes written by Dara and illustrated by 11 different artists, including fellow Columbusites Tim McClurg, Andy Bennett and Tom Williams.

You can read more about Lifelike here, and read much of it in its original webcomic format here.




3.) Not specifically comics, but close enough for linkage, is the documentary film Strange Culture, which is playing this weekend here in Columbus (You can read my review of it here). The subject matter of the film is the sad, scary, infuriating case of Steve Kurtz, a long-haired college professor, artist and activist who was investigated for bioterrorism when Petri dishes and lab equipment were found in his home when his wife died. (Completely coincidentally, as it turned out, although the authorities seemed to think the two things connected at first).

Because the case is still ongoing, there’s a lot Kurtz can’t talk about, and to help fill the screen with images, director Lynn Hershman often pulls panels from a comic book/sequential art story written by Timothy Stock and illustrated by Warren Heise.

It was called “Suspect Culture” and appeared in 2005 small press multi-media book Supsect (which contains comics, drawings, essays, fiction and more on the subject of “the suspect in a post-9/11 world.” Heise has a an incredibly bold, detailed style, with his individual panels resembling blocky woodcuts.

That’s a page of it above. You can see seven more at his site (Click on “Suspect Culture” on the menu on the right).

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Ooh, I *wondered* if Suburban Glamour was coming out this week! I've been looking forward to it for a while.

Caleb said...

It was supposed to be out the 3rd, but a last-minute printing error pushed it back a bit. It's worth the wait though.

Unknown said...

Oh, man, I totally agree about Shortcomings. I read and reviewed the three Optic Nerve issues that it collects a month or so ago, and while I didn't jump to "Fuck you, Tomine!", I pretty much hated the main character, who is a total dick. It's a damn good book though, even if reading it pisses you off.