Saturday, June 21, 2008

Jules Feiffer's Superheroes Week: An Elseworlds story I'd love to read

"Happily, I did not learn of the Superman versus Captain Marvel law suit until years later. It would have done me no good to discover two of my idols, staunch believers in direct action, bent over, hands cupped to lips, whispering in the ears of their lawyers. No one should have to grow up that fast.

"The Superman people said that Captain Marvel was a direct steal. The Captain Marvel people said what do you mean; sheer coincidence; isn’t there room for the small businessman; we don’t know what you're talking about. It went on that way for years, but the outcome was clear form the start. Captain Marvel fought hard but he was a paper tiger. One wondered whether he was beginning to drink. He was losing his lean, Fred MacMurray look, fleshing out fast in the face, in the gut, in the hips, moving onward and outward to Jack Oakie."

—Jules Feiffer, The Great Comic Book Heroes

1 comment:

Tony said...

It's funny, but I think Fred MacMurray was actually considered something of a virile action star in his pre-My Three Sons days.